Making Your Own Adorable Diaper Cake
Remember that Sex and the City episode where Miranda holds a baby shower and Carrie and Samantha arrive, carrying a big bulky cake-like thing for a present? When Miranda asks what it is, they proudly say it’s a diaper cake and apparently what everyone is giving to expecting moms today.
If you’re a practical person, a diaper cakes is a lovely gift idea you can give to your baby. Although it’s not edible, it’s got loads of diapers, a necessity when you’re a mommy-to-be. Not only that, it’s got lotion, blankets, baby toys (for more information on baby toys, read The guide to baby toys), shampoo and many useful items you can use for your baby.
Most parents buy ready-made diaper cakes at baby stores, but if you want yours to be more special, you can make a simple homemade one. Here’s how:
- Prepare all your diaper cake materials, including diapers, shampoos, baby toys and other items you want to put in. Then, get decoration stuff, including rubber bands, fake flower, ribbons, baby confetti and cardboard.
- The upper tier should be made out of 10 diapers. Get the first diaper, open and tape it in a jellyroll method around a lotion bottle. Then, open the other nine diapers, and continue rolling them the same way you did around the bottle, until you’ve used all of them. Make them tight and firm, by using double sided tapes and rubber bands around every tier.
- For the bottom tier, prepare at least 50 diapers, but don’t tie them the same way you did with the first tier. Don’t open them. Instead, place them around the bottle one after the other, until they completely surround it. Connect the first tier with the second using double sided tapes.
- Now it’s time to decorate your creation. Get baby items like bibs, rattles, teethers and place them around the cake as decoration. Then, use colorful ribbons and bows to cover up the tapes and rubber bands you used.
- When the cake looks festive and decorative enough, cover it with cellophane paper and secure it with ribbons and baby pins. Voila, your very own diaper cake!
It’s not very difficult to make a diaper cake. All you need is patience, a bit of creativity and many baby items. Go ahead and make this adorable baby shower gift! For more information on creating diaper cake, learn how to make a diaper cake.